Thursday 21 April 2016

Basketball

"Shoot", "Aim", "Just a little more strength", "Prepare yourself before you shoot" and "Out, go clear the ball" were the phrases that I always hear when I play basketball. It is interesting how strangers could come together and just play a match without even knowing each other well. Once the match starts, each of the players naturally assume their spots - center, rebound, point guard, power forward, shooting guard and small forward.

Basketball is a sport that uses a lot of physical and mental strength. Moreover, I don't exercise regularly nor do I have the strength or stamina to play well in a match. Since young, I watched my cousins play basketball at the corner of the court. As I'm a beginner, I often get left out whenever my cousins play matches with other people. Just by watching the aggressive plays at the center, I felt scared and not confident.

It was not until recently, I started playing basketball again. This time, I decided to learn basketball seriously. First things first, I need to learn how to shoot. After shooting a few balls at the same spot before moving further away from the ring, I started to gain more confidence as I keep scoring. As a beginner, I just stayed around the same spot as a small forward during matches and wait for the ball to be passed to me. Having the mindset of "I can do this" or "This ball will get in" is very important. If you are distracted, not confident or pressured, you definitely will not score which explains why basketball is mentally and physically tiring.

The ability to make decisions on the spot, distract or pressurise others is something basketball taught me. To shoot or pass, to block or stay free is the decisions that you will need to make as you play. Furthermore, you must not back down after a few mistakes and have the mindset of "I'll do better next time" so that your team mates will trust you to score for the team.

Basketball. Difficult but Interesting. Tiring but Fun. Competitive but Teamwork.




No comments:

Post a Comment