Thursday 5 April 2018

University

I was a Chemistry major in NUS for my first semester in year 1. After going through appeals and interviews, I was finally able to transfer into Food Science and Technology (FST) in the second semester of year 1. Since I did not take my FST modules in the first semester, I had to take certain modules with my junior batch. This is awkward as the juniors already formed cliques and I feel like I am intruding into their cohort. Oh well...

It was initially difficult to adjust to university as I am from polytechnic. The content is much deeper and complicated. However, the freedom to choose unrestricted electives and arrange my timetable is sweet. I actually wanted to join a CCA in university but I chose to focus on my studies. My polytechnic experience of managing studies and CCA was quite challenging. Therefore, I decided to not join any CCAs. I am definitely missing out on the university experience but its kay. 

Year 1 was basically the foundation modules where I had to take chemistry, life science and statistics modules. I didn't really like year 1 because it was basically science modules which is not much of an interest to me. Year 2 was a little bit better because there are some FST modules like Food Analysis, Post-harvest Food Processing, Food Safety etc. 

Currently, I am a year 3 FST student and the modules I am taking are much more interesting. Food Product Development and Packaging is my favourite module so far. Although our schedule is quite packed from Idea Conception, Formulation Trials, Market Research to Sensory Analysis. I hope our product would turn out well *prays hard*.


From my previous blog post of "Crossroad", I really want to thank those who have supported me during this transition phase. I was stuck at a crossroad, not knowing what my future would be like in the Chemistry major route. After I was able to transfer to FST, I heaved a sigh of relief. 

During the days of uncertainties and worries, the music that I listened to helped me to gain strength and courage. The music is none other than BTS music! Their lyrics, melodies and visual representation (MVs, webtoons and posters etc.) have deep meanings and purpose. They do not only sing typical love songs. They sing about the frustrations, uncertainties, hope and dreams of the youths. I will stop here for now and leave my thoughts in another post.

I may have found meaning in life with a purpose of helping people. My current dream and goal is to do research and product development in functional food with health benefits. Although the journey may be long but I wish to help people recover and heal with natural food instead of medicine. I have been thinking about this for quite a long time. After gaining some research and product development experience, I may start up a food company selling these functional food with my beloved family and friends.  

Credits to the owners of the pictures above.

No comments:

Post a Comment